The dedication of Dockweiler State Beach is an important milestone for Los Angeles County in its efforts to improve beach facilities. General improvements of the completed capital beach project include replacement of four restroom buildings, an entry kiosk, refurbishment of the maintenance/lifeguard facility, concession building, recreational (RV Park) with utilities upgrades, new phone lines, signage, landscaping and infiltration trenches to filter storm water runoff from the parking lots to the beach.
Up until the 1930's, the beach was known as the "Moonstone Beach" and was leased to the City of Los Angeles by the State in 1946, The name was changed to the Isidore B. Dockweiler Beach State Park in 1955. Isidore B. Dockweiler was a native son of California. He was the first graduate in 1887 of St. Vincents College. He served on the California State Parks Commission from 1939 to 1947. On May 24, 1955, the Men of Old St. Vincents placed a plaque at Isidore B. Dockweiler Beach State Park.
The 288-acre beach has been operated by the Los Angeles County Department of Beaches and Harbors for the City of Los Angeles since 1976. In 1992, the Department of Beaches and Harbors completed the Dockweiler State Beach General Plan and it was approved by the State Recreation and Parks Commission.
Major grant contributors that provided funding for the Dockweiler State Beach capital beach project:
- State of California Prop. 40 Bond Funds....$6 million
- County of Los Angeles Prop A Funds....$5 million
In addition, the County of Los Angeles contributed $3 million from its General Fund.